LAWN MOWER PREPARATIONS
Spring is here and what is better than the smell of fresh cut grass. Here are a few steps to prepare for that moment of bliss. If you have a riding lawn mower prepping your machine for the upcoming season is always a good idea.
· This is a great time to change the spark plugs and change the oil if you did not do it before storing your mower during the winter months.
· Remove the deck to clean and check the blades. The blades may need to be replaced or sharpened. This is a good time to spray any worn spots with a rust proofing paint.
· While the deck is off make any adjustments to your brakes and grease any needed points of lubrication on the chassis or suspension with a simple grease gun. You may refer to your owner’s manual for directions.
· Your machine will likely have an air filter and/or precleaner, if so, you will need to either replace them or clean them if they are reusable.
· Before riding off into the sunset be sure to check the pressure in the tires and start the machine to check to see if the battery is still good.
· If your lawn mower is going to be unused for a few weeks at a time, remember to add fuel stabilizer to your gas tank on gasoline engines. This may save you some fuel system problems in the future.
These simple steps may greatly ease your mowing season.